The CUHK MScIE programme is academically prestigious and its admission is highly competitive. Our students are graduated from the renowned universities worldwide including top overseas universities (UC Berkeley, University of Wisconsin-Madison and University of Melbourne, etc.); and from Hong Kong local universities as well as universities in Project 985 and Project 211.
In addition to the general qualifications required for admission to the Graduate School*, applicants should:
- Have obtained a Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering from a recognized university with at least Second Class Honors.
- Fulfill the “English Language Proficiency Requirement” as stipulated by the Graduate School.
* Remark: Please refer to the Graduate School (http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/gss) for details on the general entrance requirements. The University reserves the right to suspend admission of a programme if it is under-enrolled.
Application Deadline for 2018-19 Fall Admission
15 March 2018
Applicants are required to make their applications online, and then submit the hardcopies of the supporting document by post. Please read and follow the application procedures below carefully in order to avoid any unexpected delays in the application process.
- Submit online application at the Graduate School application website.
- After having submitted the online application, download and print the following forms from the application website:
- Transcript Submission Covering Sheet; and
- Confidential Recommendation (2 copies) (only if applicant opted to submit hardcopy of confidential recommendation forms by mail)
- Send the HARDCOPIES of the following supporting documents to MScIE Programme Office BY POST:
- Copy of Identity card or Passport;
- Official Score English Test Report (only applicable for non-local applicants who graduated from an institution not adopting English as medium of instruction , please submit one from below);
- Applicants must request the test organization to send the official score report directly to the MScIE programme or Graduate School. (To speed up application process, please submit photocopy of student score official report for programme assessment first).
Remarks: Admission priority will be given to applicants with satisfactory English test report.
Examinations Thresholds TOEFL (paper-based) 550 TOEFL (computer-based) 213 TOEFL (internet-based) 79 GMAT (Verbal) 21 IELTS 6.5 HKDSE - English Language Level 4
- Copy of academic certificate/professional qualifications (if any);
- Certificae of study (for potential graduates in Summer 2018) or photocopy of graduation certificate and diploma certificate (for graduates);
- Sealed official transcript of academic records (please submit Transcript Submission Covering Sheet together with other document in mail package separtately) (to be sent from your University directly via postal mail; non-returnable)*; and
- Two Confidential Recommendation Forms (to be sent directly from referees either by post)* (only if applicant opted to submit confidential recommendation forms by mail)
Please remember to attach a cheque / bank draft of application fee HK$300 in supporting document package (only if opted to pay by bank draft / cheque or cannot settle the application fee by credit card in the first instance).
* Official Transcripts and Confidential Recommendations must be sent directly from the University and referees, or in sealed envelopes and sent by the applicant with the above supporting documents to MScIE office.
MScIE Programme Office address:
Department of Information Engineering
Room 819 Ho Sin Hang Engineering Building
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Shatin, N.T. Hong Kong
15 March 2018
Tuition Fee (Provisional):
HK$140,000 in three installments for the whole programme (including 8 courses); HK$ 17,500 for each additional course.
HK$140,000 in two installments for the whole programme (including 8 courses); HK$ 17,500 for each additional course.