- Established by the Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong in 2009.
- Aim at attracting the best and brightest students in the world to pursue PhD studies in Hong Kong.
- Applicants must demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability/potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
- Monthly stipend of HK$20,000 (~US$2,600) for a period up to 3 years for Bachelor/Master degree applicants.
- Travel allowance (for conference or research related) of HK$10,000 (~US$1,300) per year.
- 2 course duties during normative study period.
The Department of Information Engineering won six HKPF awards in 2011-12! Please join us!
IE won an amazing six prestigious HKPF awards out of a total of ~110 PhD Fellowships awarded in Hong Kong in 2011-12! This is the most among all Hong Kong institutions.
We invite highly qualified students to apply for this program.
Official Application deadline for HKPF: 1 December, 2016.
Working Application deadline for HKPF (for our department): 15 November, 2016.
If you are interested in our department sponsoring your HKPF application, your full application (including all the documents required by the department) should reach the department by 15 November. This is because the admission committee will need to evaluate your case for potential sponsorship well before 1 December.
To avoid confusion, please note that HKPF applicants must first submit an HKPF application at the UGC website, get a number, then fill out an application at the CUHK Graduate School web site (which only requests for minimal information). The applicant must be careful not to select the wrong department during the UGC application. Last year several applicants were disqualified because they selected the wrong department in the UGC web site which was different from the one they applied to.
The department requires additional information on top of the HKPF application materials. Both your HKPF application materials and the additional department application materials must reach us by November 15. Our Department requires HARD COPIES of the application materials to be sent to the department directly.
For instructions on the documents needed by the department and where to send them, please CLICK HERE.
For CUHK Graduate School website, please CLICK HERE.
For UGC official website for HKPF, please CLICK HERE.
Note: HKPF applicants will be automatically considered for a CUHK Postgraduate Studentship (PGS) should the HKPF application be unsuccessful.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer / Information / Electronic or related engineering or science fields
- from a recognized university with honors not lower than Second Class; or
- from an honors programme of a recognized university, with an average grade not lower than B; or
- from a programme of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honors degree;
- conditional offer will be given to applicants who are expected to receive the Bachelor's degree in the current academic year.
- Fulfill the English Language Proficiency Requirement:
- achieve Level 4 or above in HKDSE, or
- obtain a pass grade in AS Level English, or
- have a degree from a university in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country, or
- obtain one of the following scores for assessment (or equivalent):
- TOEFL* (not lower than 550 paper based, 213 computer based, and 79 internet based);
- GMAT (Verbal not lower than 21);
- IELTS* (Academic) (not lower than Band 6.5).
(* TOEFL and IELTS are considered valid for two years from the test date.)
Note: Bachelor’s degree holders are welcome to apply directly to the PhD stream (a Master’s degree is not required), but Master’s degree holders may take shorter time to obtain the PhD degree. Admission priority will be given to PhD applicants.
Postgraduate Studentships (PGS)
- Available for most full-time students:
- Adequate to cover the tuition and basic living expenses.
- PGS holders must assist in the teaching and research work of the Department.
- Two types:
- Department funded PGS - student can choose any professor in the Department as supervisor, subject to mutual agreement.
- Research grants funded PGS - the grant owner would serve as the supervisor.
Application deadline for PGS: 1 January, 2017
Note: Application for admission is open year-round. However, to be eligible for PGS, all application materials must be received by the IE Division before deadline.
How to apply -- please read carefully
Notes to Self-Funded PhD Students:
We admit self-funded PhD students throughout the year. The above deadlines do not apply to self-funded students.
- Application fee - bankdraft (payable to the Chinese University of Hong Kong) if not already paid online by credit card payment
- Official transcript of academic records issued by the universities in sealed envelope
- Copy of degree certificate
- Confidential recommendation from 2 referees in sealed envelope
- Curriculum vitae (include the area of interest and a list of publications if available)
- Research proposal
- Original English score report (TOEFL or IELTS) - Please apply for an institution copy of TOEFL test report and send it to CUHK (Institution Code: 0812; Department Code: 99)
NOTE: CUHK DOES NOT ACCEPT TOEFL REPORT SENT BY YOU. THE REPORT MUST BE SENT BY THE TOEFL AGENCY (ETS) DIRECTLY TO CUHK.
- Copy of Hong Kong Identity Card or other identity document
- Other supporting documents
Address: Division of Information Engineering,
Rm 834, Ho Sin Hang Engineering Building,
The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong,