Prof. Lau Wing-Cheong 劉永昌教授
Associate Professor (SMIEEE)
Education: BSc(Eng)(HKU), MS, PhD (Texas)
Research Area: Networking Theory, Internet and Applications; Wireless Communications and Networking
Tel: (852) 3943-8356
Fax: (852) 2603-5032
Address: Rm 818 SHB
Email: wclau [@] ie.cuhk.edu.hk
- Decentralized Social Networks: Systems, Protocols and Algorithms
- System Modeling and Performance Analysis for Cloud-based Systems / Services
- Network / System Security and Privacy
- Traffic Characterization and Performance Evaluation for Wireless Networks
- Pervasive and Mobile Computing
- Networking Protocols and Systems
- Mobile Networking
- Information and Network Security
- Web-scale Information Analytics
- Cloud Computing
Wing is an Associate Professor in the Department of Information Engineering and the Director of the Mobile Technologies Center at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). Before joining CUHK, he spent 10 years in the US with Bell Labs, Holmdel and Qualcomm, San Diego. Wing received his BSEE degree from the University of Hong Kong and MS and PhD degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin. His research interests include System Modeling, Networking Protocol Design and Performance Analysis, Network/Systems Security and Mobile Computing. His recent research projects include: Online Social Network Privacy and Vulnerabilities, Authenticated 2D barcodes, Decentralized Social Networking protocols/systems and Resource allocation for Large-scale Computing Clusters. He serves on the Technical Program Committee for various international conferences including ACM Sigmetrics, IEEE Infocom, SECON, ICC, Globecom, WCNC, VTC, and ITC. He also served as the Guest Editor for the Special Issue on High-Speed Network Security of the IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC). Wing holds 17 US patents with a few more pending. His research findings have been published in more than 80 scientific papers in major international journals and conferences. Wing is a Senior Member of IEEE and a member of ACM and Tau Beta Pi.
Selected Publications from the last three years
- Huanle Xu* and Wing Cheong Lau, "Task-Cloning Algorithms in a MapReduce Cluster with Competitive Performance Bounds," IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), July 2015.
- Chak Man Li*, Pili Hu*, Wing Cheong Lau, "AuthPaper - Protecting Paper-based Documents/ Credentials using Authenticated 2D Barcodes," IEEE ICC, June 2015.
- Huanle Xu* and Wing Cheong Lau, "Optimization for Speculative Execution in a MapReduce-like Cluster," IEEE Infocom, Apr. 2015.
- Huanle Xu*, Pili Hu*, Wing Cheong Lau, Qiming Zhang* and Yang Wu*,"DPCP: A Protocol for Optimal Pull Coordination in Decentralized Social Networks," IEEE Infocom, Apr. 2015.
- Wai Kit Sze*, Yulin Deng*, Wing Cheong Lau, Murali Kodialam, Thyaga Nandagopal and OnChing Yue, "Channel Oblivious Counting Algorithms for Large-scale RFID Systems," IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 2015.
- Pili Hu*, Wing Cheong Lau, "Community Classification on Decentralized Social Networks based on Locally-observed Topology," IEEE Globecom, Dec. 2014.
- Pili Hu*, Ronghai Yang*, Yue Li* and Wing Cheong Lau, "Application Impersonation: Problems of OAuth and API Design in Online Social Networks," ACM Conference on Online Social Networks (COSN), Oct. 2014.
- Ronghai Yang*, Pili Hu* and Wing Cheong Lau, "OAuthTester: Model-based Testing for Security Flaw Detection in OAuth 2.0 (Poster)," ACM Conference on Online Social Networks (COSN), Oct. 2014.
- Pili Hu*, Wing Cheong Lau, "Deployment and Preliminary Measurement Results of an Ad-hoc Decentralized Social Network on PlanetLab(Poster)," ACM Conference on Online Social Networks (COSN), Oct. 2014.
- Pili Hu*, Wing Cheong Lau, "How to Leak a 100-million-node Social Graph in just one week ? - A Reflection on OAuth and API Deign in Online Social Networks," Black Hat USA Briefings, Aug. 2014.
- Huanle Xu*, Wing Cheong Lau, "Speculative Execution for a Single Job in a MapReduce-like System," The 7th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (IEEE Cloud), June 2014.
- Pili Hu*, Sherman S.M. Chow, Wing Cheong Lau, "Secure Friend Discovery via Privacy-Preserving and Decentralized Community Detection," ICML 2014 Workshop on Learning, Security and Privacy, June 2014.
- Chak Man Li*, Pili Hu*, Wing Cheong Lau, "Demo: AuthPaper - Protecting Paper-based Documents/ Credentials using Authenticated 2D Barcodes," ACM MobiSys, June 2014.
- Xiang Zhong*, Pili Hu*, Wing Cheong Lau, "Scalable and Robust Community Detection via Proximity-based Cut and Merge," IEEE ICC, June 2014.
- Pili Hu*, Junbo Li, Wing Cheong Lau, ``PIXS: Programmable Intelligence for Cross-Platform Socialization," ACM HotPlanet Workshop, Aug 2013.
- Deyi Sun*, Wing Cheong Lau, "Social Relationship Classification based on Interaction Data from Smartphones," IEEE PerCom (PerHot Workshop), March 2013.
- Ka-Hung Hui*, Onching Yue and Wing Cheong Lau, "FRASA: Feedback Retransmission Approximation for the Stability Region of Finite-User Slotted ALOHA," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Jan. 2013.